For in situ sampling of solid biological, geological or industrial materials by ablating a spot at a particular location of interest or by ablating a line raster across the sample surface.
- 193 nm excimer laser
- 4 to 150 micron aperture beam size
- Sample cell holder accomodates 25 mm or 10 mm round polished epoxy mounts or petrographic thin sections
Located in Memorial University's Bruneau Centre, the laboratory specializes in the direct analysis of biological, geological or industrial materials for trace element microanalyses.
The solid material is sampled directly by a laser system coupled to either a Thermo ELEMENT XR ICPMS for general trace element analyses and U-Pb geochronology applications or a Thermo NEPTUNE Multicollector ICPMS for precise isotope ratio analyses.
Housing two ICPMS in the same lab allows split-stream measurements to be performed, where analyses are done simultaneously by both instruments on a given sample (e.g., U-Pb geochronology and Hf isotopic ratios from the same laser spot in zircon).
- Astronomy and Physics
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Environmental and Earth Sciences
- Marine/Ocean Sciences
- Mining, Minerals and Metals
Date submitted: Tue, Sep 25, 2018 3:50 PM
Date updated: Wed, Sep 26, 2018 8:43 PM