12 1m x 1m green roof cells (two are conventional roof controls) each outfitted with drainage pipe underneath connected to tipping bucket rain gauges to monitor flow rate of roof runoff. Green roof cells have been planted with various plant combinations and substrates over the years.
Second roof has 8 x 6m x 4.5m green roof cells planted with a variety of native plant species (approx. 7.5 cm substrate depth), each hydrologically separated and draining through pipes to paddlewheel flowmeters below (Blue White Industries F-2000).
Possibility to sample water quality in each facility (not yet tried)
Research in plant ecology: coastal barrens, urban ecology, green roofs, green infrastructure. The green roof research facility allows for quantification of ecosystem services and economic benefits of green roofs including reduction of building energy costs, contributions to stormwater management, provision of biodiversity habitat and carbon storage.
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Engineering - Agricultural, Forest, Environmental, Mining, Mineral
- Environmental and Earth Sciences
- Agriculture, Animal Science and Food
- Clean Technology
- Construction (including Building, Civil Engineering, Specialty Trades)
- Environmental Technologies and Related Services
Industry Liaison Officer
Date submitted: Wed, Apr 12, 2017 10:13 PM
Date updated: Thu, Apr 13, 2017 10:23 AM