The TERRA Facility's Stable Isotope Lab operates two gas source isotope ratio mass spectrometers. Materials containing the elements of interest are converted to suitable gaseous forms and isotopic abundances are measured and compared with those of international standards.
stable isotope, elemental analysis, training, education, TOC, IRMS, GC-C-IRMS, GC
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Environmental and Earth Sciences
- Marine/Ocean Sciences
- Agriculture, Animal Science and Food
- Chemical Industries
- Environmental Technologies and Related Services
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Forestry and Forest-Based Industries
- Life Sciences, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Equipment
- Mining, Minerals and Metals
- Ocean Industries
Consists of high temperature oxidation and reduction furnaces inline with a water trap and a gas chromatograph for analyzing solid materials for isotope ratio and elemental determinations. Interfaced with the DeltaVPlus IRMS for analysis of N2 (δ15N, %N) and/or CO2 (δ13C, %C).
Preparation system utilizing acid injection to digest carbonates for isotope ratio analysis. Interfaced with the DeltaVPlus IRMS for analyzing headspace from vials for carbon and oxygen isotopes (CO2: δ13C, δ18O).
Analyzes water samples for inorganic and/or organic carbon content by using a wet chemical oxidation process to extract carbon as CO2 gas, which enters a NDIR detector for ppmC determination. Interfaced with the DeltaVPlus IRMS for simultaneous carbon isotope ratio analysis (δ13C-TOC and δ13C-TIC).
Date submitted: Sat, Nov 26, 2016 11:56 AM
Date updated: Tue, Nov 29, 2016 12:10 PM