The Materials Characterization facility comprises a suite of instruments that can analyze composite, biological and polymeric materials, in addition to pure compounds.
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Engineering - Agricultural, Forest, Environmental, Mining, Mineral
- Engineering - Chemical, Nuclear, Other
- Environmental and Earth Sciences
- Marine/Ocean Sciences
- Chemical Industries
- Clean Technology
- Energy (Renewable and Fossil)
- Environmental Technologies and Related Services
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
- Forestry and Forest-Based Industries
- Life Sciences, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Equipment
- Manufacturing and Processing
- Mining, Minerals and Metals
- Ocean Industries
To determine force measurement which leads to imaging, more commonly, z-height measurement.
- Max 40 μm^2 area
- Contact and non-contact modes
- ScanAtomic SPM Control Software, v. 4.05.08
To measure the absorbance of samples which can give information on sample concentration and color. Absorption measures transitions from ground state to excited state using UV energy.
- 175 nm to 1800 nm
- Diffuse Reflectance Array accessory
- Thin-film holder accessory
- Cary WinUV software, version 3.0
For measuring phase changes in solids or liquids. Consumable aluminum crucibles used for the analysis (40 microlitre size). Can determine phase change temperatures, enthalpy and other thermodynamic properties.
- Temperatures: -70 C to 550 C
- Heating rates: 0.02-300K/min, cooling rate: 0.02-50K/min
- Isothermal, dynamic and TOPEM experiments
- STARe Excellence software, version 11.0
Thermogravimetric analyzer which is able to assist with structural determination due to mass losses in the sample under either neutral or oxidizing conditions. The instrument measures mass with respect to time/temperature.
- Mass resolution: 0.1 μg (accuracy ≤ ±0.1%)
- Temperature range: ambient to 1000°C
- Heating rates: 0.1°C/min to 100°C/min
- MTGA and HiRes experiments available
- Gases: Air and USP Nitrogen
- Thermal Advantage Software, release 5.2.6
Date submitted: Tue, Sep 25, 2018 11:57 AM
Date updated: Wed, Sep 26, 2018 8:44 PM