The Cape Breton Fish Harvesters Association conducts regular sampling from lobster fishing boats from mid-May to mid-July. Some sampling for lobster larvae and out of season lobster sampling conducted mid-July to December.
CBFHA was contracted by Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) to monitor the St. Anns Bank Proposed Marine Protected Area. Sampling includes ocean bottom photography and sampling aboard various fisheries within and around the proposed MPA.
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Engineering - Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical
- Environmental and Earth Sciences
- Geomatics and Geodesy
- Marine/Ocean Sciences
- Agriculture, Animal Science and Food
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
Equipment 5 piece(s)
5 cameras. include underwater casing and batteries. for shallow and deep-water photography.
- Identifying lobster larval stages
- Identifying pelagic zooplankton
- Lobster pleopod observation to determine molt staging.
- 2 sets of equipment
7x-45x zoom stereo microscope
• Binocular or trinocular
• WF10x Eyepieces with eyecups
• Double-wide pole stand for flexible viewing
• Dual, variable halogen illumination
• Lifetime Limited Warranty
• Recommended for industry and hobbyists
Summit SK2-3.1X 3.1MP PC / MAC Compatible Digital Microscope Camera
• 3.1 MP with excellent color resolution
• MAC/PC compatible
• Large 1/2" sensor for higher quality
• Stills & Live Image video
• 0.5x reducing lens for improved field of view
• Integrated C-mount to fit most microscopes
• FREE telephone support
Measure protein levels in lobster.
• Light, compact and portable.
• Automatic temperature compensation (ATC).
• Water resistant to IP65.
• Measures high temperature samples during heating or cooking.
• Sample volume: 0.3 ml.
• Metal sample stage allows sample temperature to conform quickly and evenly to prism temperature for accurate measurements.
• Prism made of highly durable optical glass.
• Zero-setting key is used with water.
• Convenient storage case.
• Measuring time: 3 seconds.
• Features External Light Interference (E.L.I.) for displaying warning message when intense direct light is detected.
• Power: 2 x AAA batteries.
• Dimensions: 55W x 31D x 109H mm.
Sampling lobster larvae and other associated planktonic species.
2 x plankton nets 20 feet x 2 m, 1400 microns Nitex
2 x Collecting buckets (cod ends)
Our inshore fishing boats (< 45ft) are used as platforms from which to conduct sampling.
Member boats from 21 ports in the area from Bay St. Lawrence to Gabarus -- covering the Gulf and Maritime Regions.
Date submitted: Fri, Feb 10, 2017 1:34 PM
Date updated: Fri, Feb 10, 2017 1:34 PM