The Department of Applied Oral Sciences is a research unit within the Faculty of Dentistry at Dalhousie University. Working closely with the Department of Biomedical Engineering, Applied Oral Sciences faculty and staff focus their materials research mainly around glasses for biological applications, as well as tissue engineering. Instrumentation such as ICP-OES, DSC, mechanical testing units and a variety of other materials characterization equipment are available within the Department.
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Engineering - Chemical, Nuclear, Other
- Engineering - Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical
- Health Care and Social Services
- Life Sciences, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Equipment
Industry Liaison Officer
Equipment 8 piece(s)
Generally used in materials characterization to provide heat capacity data as well as temperature information such as inset temperature, melting point, and glass transition. This model allows for simultaneous collection of thermal gravimetric data, allowing correlation of mass and energy data from one instrument.
- The carbide furnace chamber is purged with N2 to provide an inert atmosphere and avoiding combustion.
- Temperature range of room temperature to 1500 Celsius.
- Ramp rates are generally between 5-20 K/min.
- Sample size is generally ~20 mg.
Simultaneous analysis of up to 60 elements in nitric acid. Can be used both in both axial and radial modes to increase sensitivity and detection.
Note: This instrument is designated as a non-HF instrument.
To analyse particle size of solids suspended in a liquid medium, using dynamic light scattering.
Particle range between 0.01 - 3500 micron.
Precise mechanical testing with force and displacement, with measurement of deformation her six orders of magnitude (nm - mm). Generally used for Young's Modulus and hardness testing.
- <0.01 nm displacement resolution
- > 500 micron max indentation depth
- 150 micron indenter travel
Max load: 500 mN
Generates pore volume and density values for powder samples.
- Sample chamber: 10 cm3
- Reproducibility typically to within ± 0.01% of the nominal full-scale sample cell chamber volume., However; reproducibility guaranteed to within ± 0.02% of the nominal full-scale volume on clean, dry, thermally equilibrated sample using helium in the 15 to 35 C range.
- Accurate to within 0.03% of reading, plus 0.03% of sample capacity.
Single column electromagnetic mechanical testing. Capable of performing tension, compression, fatigue, stress, strain, dynamic materials analysis and applying waveforms to sample.
- Load Capacity: +/- 1275 kg (12.5 kN)
- Displacement Capacity: +/- 25 mm (total range of 50 mm moving both plates)
- Maximum test space height 1000 mm
Test space width: 558 mm
Single column force transducer for tension and/or compression tests
- Capacity: 2000N, or ~ 200kg
1067 mm in vertical test space
High temperature alumina furnace (3L volume) used for the preparation of glasses.
Samples quickly and can reach max set point in under one hour.
- Max temperature 100 degrees below max temperature. Therefore, this furnace can be used to 1500 Celsius.
Internal Dimensions (H W x D in mm): 120 x 120 x 205
Date submitted: Wed, Mar 15, 2017 10:31 AM
Date updated: Wed, Mar 15, 2017 10:32 AM