The centre provides the skill and knowledge necessary to assist all users with their needs for imaging and micro-analyses by using scanning electron microscopes (SEM), equipped with cathodoluminescence (CL), EDS, SE and BSE detectors.
- Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Environmental and Earth Sciences
- Environmental Technologies and Related Services
- A maximum resolution up to 3.5nm at 30 kV.
- Allow to mount single sample up to 200mm in diameter and 65mm thick or multiple samples.
- Gatan miniCL imaging system suitable for the textures analysis of geological materials and semiconductors that otherwise cannot be observed using optical microscopy or backscattered electrons.
- INCA X-max 80mm 2 EDS system for semi quantitative chemical analyses.
- Utilize non-destructive analytical x-ray fluorescence (XRF) to determine elemental concentrations in environmental samples.
- The analytical detection limit is 0.03% for all with the exception of Ti, P and Mn, which are 0.005%. Limits for elements found in trace amounts are (in ppm): Cr = 4, Th = 2, Co = 5, La = 5, Nd = 5, Cu = 4, Ga = 5, Rb = 2, Nb = 1, U = 1, Y = 3, Ni = 3, Sr = 5, V = 4, Pb = 3, Zr = 4, Zn = 5 and Ba = 25.
Date submitted: Thu, Jul 7, 2016 3:30 PM
Date updated: Thu, Jul 7, 2016 3:31 PM