The Centre for Advanced Manufacturing includes the SSDE Machine Shop and Additive Lab, which combined allow for prototyping and fabrication of parts and products.
- Engineering - Civil, Structural
- Engineering - Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical
- Consumer Durables
- Consumer Non-Durables
- Manufacturing and Processing
Industry Liaison Officer
Equipment 14 piece(s)
- Entry-level system for production of complex metal parts via additive manufacturing.
- Materials include: EOS CobaltChrome, EOS StainlessSteel, EOS Titanium
- Build volume: Diameter -100 mm, Height - 95 mm
- Laser Type: Yb-fiber laser; 200 W
- Focus Diameter: 40 μm
- 3D print plastic parts and prototypes.
- Materials include: PCABS, PLA or ASA
- The printer is intended for small pieces in which high accuracy or resolution is not required (e.g. pillow block, housing, etc.)
- Build Volume: 200 x 200 x 180 mm
- Resolution: 90-400 microns
- Minimum Wall Thickness: 400 microns
- Optimal Wall Thickness: 800 microns
- 3D print ABS parts and prototypes.
- Support material is soluble for easy removal
- The printer is intended for small pieces or parts which require higher accuracy and resolution
- Build Volume: 203 x 203 x 152 mm
- Layer Thickness: 0.254 mm or 0.330 mm
- 3D print parts with high-performance thermoplastics.
- Materials include: ABS, ASA, Polycarbonate
- This printer is used for larger parts and prototypes requiring high accuracy and resolution. Possible applications include one-off production parts, prototyping parts before machining, etc.
- Build Volume: 355 x 305 x 305 mm
- Layer Thickness: 0.330 mm, 0.254 mm, 0.178 mm, 0.127 mm
- Accuracy: 0.127 mm
This machine is used for cutting vinyl for signage, stickers, T-shirts, etc.
- Maximum Cutting Area: 603 mm x 50 m
- Combatible Media Widths: 50 mm to 712 mm
- Maximum Media Thickness: 0.25 mm
- Maximum Cutting Speed: 900 mm/s at 45 deg.
- The laser cutter is a CO2 laser system for high-quality engraving and cutting of wood, acrylics, plastics, stone and more.
- The machine cuts materials based on a 2D drawing of the profile, which could be a label, gasket, hole pattern, etc.
- Working Area: 24" x 12"
- Maximum Material Thickness: 5.5"
- Laser Wattage: 30, 40, 50 or 60 W
Heavy Duty Milling Machine for machining in both vertical and horizontal directions. Used for subtractive manufacturing of small plastic, wood or metal pieces
- Longitudinal Travel: 800 mm
- Cross Travel: 415 mm
- Vertical Travel: 435 mm
- Max Loading: 200 Kg
Swing head saw that provides miter cutting capabilities for light to medium duty applications (e.g. metal beams and pieces, piping, etc.)
- Rectangular Capacity at 90°: 13" H x 18" W
- Round Capacity at 90°: 13"
- Blade Dimensions: 1" x 14' 10"
- Blade Speed: 45 - 330 sfm
Used for heavy duty cutting and gouging, bevel cutting, extended reach cutting, and fine feature cutting
- Output Current: 20 - 65 A
- Output Voltage: 139 VDC
- Gas Supply: Clean, Dry, Oil-free Air or Nitrogen
3D print plastic parts and prototypes. This printer uses stereolithography to print high-resolution objects out of a resin material. It is an appropriate analog to the printing method used by the EOS M100 metal 3D printer.
Build Volume: 145 x 145 x 175 mm
Layer Thickness: 25, 50, 100 microns
Laser Spot Size (FWHM): 140 microns
Print Technology: Stereolithography
A cabinet and blaster used for coldworking metal pieces. The blaster produces a flow of abrasive which produces a residual stress layer in the piece, typically with the goal of hardening the material or closing pores from the 3D printing process. The cabinet acts as a dust collector and dryer to maintain a clean environment.
Powder Capacity: 1 Liter
Air Pressure: 10 - 125 psi
Nozzle Sizes: .015 - .060 in. diameter. Other shapes and sizes available.
HEPA filter filtration
Interior Space: 24" x 14" x 10"
Air Flow: 500 SCFM
CNC water jet can cut detailed patterns or parts out of sheet or plate materials, including steel, glass, plastics, etc. Applications are primarily centered around prototype development and parts manufacturing.
Work Envelope: 1.3 m x 1.3 m
Linear Straightness Accuracy: +/- 0.005 in / 3 ft.
Repeatability: +/- 0.001 in.
Pump Pressure: 60,000 psi
Traverse Speed: 400 in/min
Imports: DXF, DWG, IGS, CADKEY, CDL, and HPL Files
Test materials under tension, compression, or torsion loading to experimentally measure material properties such as modulus of elasticity, yield strain, ultimate strain, etc.
Axial Force Capacity: 250 kN
Axial Travel: +/- 80 mm (160 mm total)
Torsional Capacity: 2500 Nm
Torsional Travel: +/- 50 deg (100 deg total)
Displacement Max Error: +/- 0.30%
Angle Max Error: +/- 0.56%
Force Max Error: +/- 0.52%
Torque Max Error: +/- 0.50%
Date submitted: Thu, Jun 21, 2018 11:08 AM
Date updated: Fri, Jun 22, 2018 11:51 AM